St. Titus Church
Along, past the middle of 25th August street, on the left side is the square where St.Titus is located , the protector of the island. Initially a Byzantine temple and during its many historical phases suffered substantial damages: renovations including major alterations by the Venetians in the 16th century and used as the metropolitan church by the Catholics. During Turkish rule it was converted into a mosque- the “Vezir mosque”, destroyed in the big earthquake of 1856 , rebuilt on its own foundations in 1872.
In 1926 it again became an Orthodox church after undergoing relative repairs and alterations.The combination of a variety of architectural elements can be seen supporting its multi-faceted history. Within St.Titus is preserved the skull of the saint after it had been returned from Venice where it was initially sent during the sacking of Heraklion by the Turks.